Friday, October 19, 2012

My Smashing Pumpkins Concert Adventure

So I won two free tickets from a local radio station to see my very favorite band.


The station asked a trivia question on-air, I was the first one to call in with the correct answer, so I won.  The concert was last night.  The husband was out of town for work.  Our awesome friend Caitlin watched our kids so I could go to the concert with our awesome friend Chelsea.  Here is a picture Chelsea took with her phone before The Smashing Pumpkins took the stage:


You can't tell here, but Chelsea is in her 3rd trimester of pregnancy with her 1st baby.  Also, you can't tell that there were at least 3 other obviously pregnant ladies at this concert.  I said the Pumpkins should have had a kid shirt & onesies at their merch table.  You hear that Pumpkins?  Get some kid merch and your fans will eat it up.  A Zero onesie would be mighty cute, ya know...

Anyway, our seats were upgraded because they "reconfigured the stage."  I assume they didn't sell quite the amount of tickets they expected and moved people closer.  No complaints here.  Upgraded seats was just one thing that added to the awesomeness that was last night.  Here are some more: a kid-free night, dinner alone at Arby's (where I didn't have to cut any food or clean anyone up or take anyone pee pee or poop), the sweetest old dude trucker mullet I've ever seen (at Arby's, it was just about waist length, pulled back in a ponytail and totally business in the front), a street parking spot (not paying $10-20 to park!), hanging out with Chelsea, seeing my favorite band, observing some "mom dancing" (just watch PBS during their telethons when they play oldies concerts and check out the middle-aged women dancing in the crowd, you'll see what I'm talking about), the fact that the best mom dancing was actually done by a young-ish dude with a sweater tied around his waist two rows ahead of us, the neat stage set-up with some crazy Death Star-looking thing that had stuff projected on it (check out images from another show here), and of course hearing some of my favorite songs played live.

The Pumpkins basically played two concerts in one.  The first was all songs from their new album Oceania.  I like that album much better after hearing it live.  The second was songs from their heyday plus a couple covers.  I'm not familiar enough with the current album to be able to name the songs they played, so I'll give you the set list from the "second concert."  You can be assured that it was all awesome.

Space Oddity (cover) by David Bowie
XYU
Disarm
Tonight Tonight
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
A snippet of Shock Me (cover) by KISS
A song Billy Corgan wrote for his daddy (didn't catch the name)
Zero
Cherub Rock
{encore}
Ava Adore
some dueling guitar
a bit o' Whole Lotta Love (cover) by Led Zeppelin
Muzzle

I'm well-aware that the current "Smashing Pumpkins" are pretty much Billy Corgan (the front man) and his new lackeys.  But I don't care.  The new lackeys are fantastic musicians and were really fun to watch.  And Billy Corgan was expectedly amazing live, and entertaining as well.

Something I noticed toward the middle/end of the concert was the lack of "concert smell."  You know, cigarettes + pot + booze.  I've always associated that smell with concerts, at least bar or arena shows, and it seemed odd not to have it.  I'm not complaining, I mean, I appreciate not feeling like I need a post-concert shower, especially getting home at 1:00 AM, but it just isn't the same.

So, yeah, home at 1:00 AM.  HUGE thanks to Caitlin for staying with the kids and crashing on the couch and then slipping out early to get ready and go to work!  Today the kids and I had a jammie day.  Also, I've been trying to indoctrinate them with Smashing Pumpkins music & music videos.  Jonas (age 3) really enjoyed the destruction at the end of Everlasting Gaze.  He wants to be a drummer.  All the kids really liked the Tonight Tonight video.  So do I.  And so should you!


No comments: