Saturday, September 01, 2012

Birthday Cake Bombs, Coming Soon!

Tomorrow is Chase's birthday.  For his cake, I'm making him cake bombs, but not just the regular kind, I'm making an alteration to the recipe! *Gasp!*  First, let me tell you that I'm not really much of a cook or baker, but I'm not bad either.  I'm the kind of cook who does just fine as long as I have a recipe and all the ingredients.  Then I follow the recipe pretty much exactly.  The only alterations I really make are leaving out nuts and raisins (in my opinion, raisins ruin pretty much every dessert, but nuts are OK, just not preferable) or maybe adding some mint chocolate chips.  So this recipe alteration is a bit of a big deal to me.

Cake bombs are basically the same thing as Bakerella's cake balls, only I make them bigger and they're not pretty.  Typically I'll do chocolate cake bombs with can of plain ol' vanilla icing and chocolate bark, and they're pretty amazing.  I've used cream cheese icing, too, which is more amazing, but I'm lactose intolerant so it's not that great on my digestive system.  But today, friends, today I am substituting something that I can't imagine being anything but very very tastey for icing...  peanut butter.

I mean, a chocolate + peanut butter combination is almost always awesome.  And peanut butter has a similar consistency to canned icing.  Plus, we use Jif's all natural peanut butter, which I refer to as gourmet peanut butter (seriously, once you taste it, you may never go back to the regular kind of peanut butter; just a warning!).  I got the idea after making my third batch of Bakerella's dark chocolate chip comfort cookies which is pretty much the most amazing chocolate peanut butter dark chocolate chip cookies that I rave about.  They have become my go-to cookies whenever I have a reason to bake something.  Anyway, I was baking these cookies for about the third time in a month when I thought how peanut butter just might make cake bombs extra delicious, or at least it might be a fun switch-up. 

I just needed a reason to make cake bombs.  Chase's birthday is tomorrow.  Now I have a reason.  I'll let you all know if they are 'da bomb' or if they bomb.

No comments: