Friday, January 05, 2007

Shopping Woes

I just might be the slowest shopper ever. It takes me forever to find what I need if it’s not something that I buy regularly or if I’m shopping at a place where I do not go regularly. I mean, I don’t really know where things should go. For example, once Chase wanted me to get some mayonnaise, but I didn’t know where it would be since I’d never bought mayonnaise before. I assumed it would be near the ketchup, but no, it was with the salad dressing. I only found that out by going up and down every aisle at Kroger (minus the cleaning supplies, frozen food and pet food). I do not understand grocery store stocking logic, nor do I have a good concept of time; add those two things together and you get one confused Alisha somewhat nervously wandering the grocery store while employees keep an eye on her thinking she’s going to shoplift.

In case you haven’t figured it out by now, I had one of these experiences last night. As I was sitting in the car getting ready to pull out of my parking spot at Wal-Mart, I get a phone call from Chase asking me to pick up some salt and baking soda (salt because what’s left of what we had was clumped together and baking soda for something to do with our new wok). Instead of going back into Wal-Mart, I went to the Dollar Tree to pick these items up. It really is amazing the things you can find there for only $1.00 (or less)! They’ve even got some name brand stuff!

Since the Dollar Tree has cooking and cleaning supplies as well as some food and drink along with a plethora of junk and cheap wrapping paper for $1.00 or less, I figured they’d have salt and baking soda. Well, if they had it, I couldn’t find it. You see, the stocking logic of the “dollar stores” (put in quotation marks because there are multiple brands of dollar store- you’ve got the Dollar General, Family Dollar, The Dollar Store, Dollar Tree, and I’m sure many more) is even more confusing than the regular stores because they’ll just stick things in random places sometimes. I walked up and down every aisle in Dollar Tree and did not find salt or baking soda, so it was on to Dollar General since it was on the way home.

Dollar General is bigger than Dollar Tree, and it has a small refrigerated section. But, unlike Dollar Tree, everything is not $1.00 at Dollar General. In fact, cereal there is more expensive than it is at Wal-Mart. I walked up and down the food aisles several times until I found salt. Then I decided that I’d try the cleaning aisle for baking soda since it’s odor absorbing, and, hey, mayonnaise isn’t with the condiments so anything could happen! And wouldn’t ya know, there it was in the cleaning aisle!

So I had my salt and my baking soda and I went to check out. Both items were cheaper than they were priced as! Yippee! Then the guy working the register told me I looked like someone famous. Then he said that I probably get that all the time. I told him no and asked who I looked like. I was curious. You know who he said I look like? Velma from Scooby Doo!
So you tell me, do I really look like Velma from Scooby Doo?

1 comment:

Chase Abner said...

Of course you like Velma. Why do you think I married you? Kidding.

You look like Velma only In the sense that you both have dark hair and dark-rimmed glasses and love wearing turtle-necked sweaters, skirts and tall socks.